The Rookie Ratings & Renewal Discussion

Tuesdays at 10/9c on ABC this Fall
Message
Author
User avatar
Cayde-6
Site Admin
Reactions: 85
Posts: 1632
Joined: July 4th, 2017, 7:52 pm

The Rookie Ratings & Renewal Discussion

#1 Unread post by Cayde-6 » October 1st, 2018, 5:07 pm

I know some of you hate more threads :lol: but a thread for Ratings talk has been requested so those who want to avoid the discussion can. This thread is just about ratings/numbers.

I'll be moving the other posts over here shortly.
0

100
Registered Member
Reactions: 22
Posts: 182
Joined: July 27th, 2017, 1:13 pm

The Rookie Ratings & Renewal Discussion

#2 Unread post by 100 » October 16th, 2018, 7:42 pm

rookie47 wrote:
October 16th, 2018, 6:48 pm
TightPantsLooseMorals wrote:
October 16th, 2018, 4:22 pm
Castle_firefly wrote:
October 16th, 2018, 4:12 pm
Wild card

The Rookie (ABC, 10 p.m.): Nathan Fillion must have had a pretty damn good time and/or made a lot of damn money on Castle, because The Rookie, premiering tonight, shares a whole bunch of DNA with its predecessor. Like Castle, it is a procedural; as with Castle, one of the writers and executive producers (here also the creator) is Alexi Hawley (Noah Hawley’s twin brother!). Most importantly, like Castle, it is trusting in the considerable charms of its leads—here, Fillion and Banshee’s Afton Williamson—to make up for any creakiness of format or style. We are pleased to confirm that the last item was a safe bet for The Rookie, because it is absolutely worth a look if you like procedurals, old guy jokes, or Nathan Fillion.

https://tv.avclub.com/the-conners-premi ... 1829764646
To me, this review is worse than someone saying that they just didn't like it and explaining why. Unless it's going to revolve around a love story between two characters with every other character and storyline secondary to that, then it is nothing like Castle but for having a character played by Nathan in a police setting. I think if you get people excited thinking it's "like Castle" they are going to be sorely disappointed.
I don’t think many (or any) viewers will tune in based on that review so I don’t think that it matters much. How many people aside from fans read these reviews anyway to make up their mind about watching a tv show? And I don’t even know this website, let alone the reviewer.
I'm sure you're right. I don't read TV show reviews before I watch, except when I'm trying to decipher things like how The Rookie has been received in relation to "the competition". And compared to average viewers, I'm a super fan, although I've seen fans who are MUCH more super (in so many ways ;-) ) than me.
0

Castle_firefly
Registered Member
Reactions: 11
Posts: 403
Joined: November 4th, 2017, 1:02 pm

Re: The Rookie Articles and Social Media

#3 Unread post by Castle_firefly » October 17th, 2018, 11:58 am

Do you think it will go beyond 13 eps? I really expected something more. It got the same demo as Kevin Probably Saves the world last year.



The Rookie, copped 5.4 mil and a 1.0 in the network’s infamous Death Slot, improving on Kevin (Probably) Saves the World‘s year-ago premiere audience while matching it in the demo.

https://tvline.com/2018/10/17/the-conne ... anne-dies/
0

User avatar
TightPantsLooseMorals
Registered Member
Reactions: 35
Posts: 311
Joined: August 15th, 2018, 11:10 am

Re: The Rookie Articles and Social Media

#4 Unread post by TightPantsLooseMorals » October 17th, 2018, 12:10 pm

Castle_firefly wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 11:58 am
Do you think it will go beyond 13 eps? I really expected something more. It got the same demo as Kevin Probably Saves the world last year.



The Rookie, copped 5.4 mil and a 1.0 in the network’s infamous Death Slot, improving on Kevin (Probably) Saves the World‘s year-ago premiere audience while matching it in the demo.

https://tvline.com/2018/10/17/the-conne ... anne-dies/
According to Grim Reaper, 1.0 is currently the median for ABC Scripted shows.



Shows typically lose a little after their premieres. TBH, I think it's too early to answer the more-than-13 question. I'd like to give it 3-4 weeks, but I do think it will remain bubble and we'll be nail biting the whole way through.
0

Castle_firefly
Registered Member
Reactions: 11
Posts: 403
Joined: November 4th, 2017, 1:02 pm

Re: The Rookie Articles and Social Media

#5 Unread post by Castle_firefly » October 17th, 2018, 12:20 pm

TightPantsLooseMorals wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 12:10 pm
Castle_firefly wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 11:58 am
Do you think it will go beyond 13 eps? I really expected something more. It got the same demo as Kevin Probably Saves the world last year.



The Rookie, copped 5.4 mil and a 1.0 in the network’s infamous Death Slot, improving on Kevin (Probably) Saves the World‘s year-ago premiere audience while matching it in the demo.

https://tvline.com/2018/10/17/the-conne ... anne-dies/
According to Grim Reaper, 1.0 is currently the median for ABC Scripted shows.



Shows typically lose a little after their premieres. TBH, I think it's too early to answer the more-than-13 question. I'd like to give it 3-4 weeks, but I do think it will remain bubble and we'll be nail biting the whole way through.
Yes but a million little things premiered better and it gets a lot of DVR viewership. I am hoping the same for TR.

I think ABC will give the back order for one show -either TR or AMLT. Let’s see to whom they give that.
0

User avatar
TightPantsLooseMorals
Registered Member
Reactions: 35
Posts: 311
Joined: August 15th, 2018, 11:10 am

Re: The Rookie Articles and Social Media

#6 Unread post by TightPantsLooseMorals » October 17th, 2018, 1:02 pm

Castle_firefly wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 12:20 pm
TightPantsLooseMorals wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 12:10 pm
Castle_firefly wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 11:58 am
Do you think it will go beyond 13 eps? I really expected something more. It got the same demo as Kevin Probably Saves the world last year.



The Rookie, copped 5.4 mil and a 1.0 in the network’s infamous Death Slot, improving on Kevin (Probably) Saves the World‘s year-ago premiere audience while matching it in the demo.

https://tvline.com/2018/10/17/the-conne ... anne-dies/
According to Grim Reaper, 1.0 is currently the median for ABC Scripted shows.



Shows typically lose a little after their premieres. TBH, I think it's too early to answer the more-than-13 question. I'd like to give it 3-4 weeks, but I do think it will remain bubble and we'll be nail biting the whole way through.
Yes but a million little things premiered better and it gets a lot of DVR viewership. I am hoping the same for TR.

I think ABC will give the back order for one show -either TR or AMLT. Let’s see to whom they give that.
DVR viewership is never a bad thing, but don't let the Network's PR spin on that fool you. It's my understanding that the numbers that matter most behind live, and are rarely shown to the public, are the C3s, aka who is actually watching the commercials.

*Edit* to be fair, there are people who do not agree with that. Some believe only live +SD matter, some tout the +3 or +7. For me, the C3 just makes sense. If there is a measure of how many people are watching ads, that's what people spending the ad money care about, not that the substance of the show is so great that millions watched the show later but skipped all their ads.
0

Booyah
Registered Member
Reactions: 59
Posts: 948
Joined: February 12th, 2018, 1:04 am

Re: The Rookie Articles and Social Media

#7 Unread post by Booyah » October 17th, 2018, 1:42 pm

ABC is re-airing TR Monday, I would assume in The Good Doctor's time slot. They did the same for AMLT, but I can't remember what night they aired it. I think it was on a Friday or Sunday night.

As for being on the bubble, I've not seen anything about AMLT being sold internationally. Don't underestimate the staying power that gives TR.

I was really expecting more than a 1.0, so I'm disappointed. And not excuses, but there was a big baseball game on last night. I also think that those who have been watched NA and DVR'd Rookie last night might possibly decide it's better and watch TR live and DVR NA. :shrug:

The Rookie was the only show in that time slot last night that gained viewers in the second half hour (in preliminary numbers). NA again dropped week to week.

We'll have to see what happens in delayed viewing and the next couple episodes. I would be beyond shocked if it doesn't get a full season.

Has anyone seen anything about how it did in Canada?
0

Booyah
Registered Member
Reactions: 59
Posts: 948
Joined: February 12th, 2018, 1:04 am

Re: The Rookie Articles and Social Media

#8 Unread post by Booyah » October 17th, 2018, 1:43 pm

TightPantsLooseMorals wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 1:02 pm
Castle_firefly wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 12:20 pm
TightPantsLooseMorals wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 12:10 pm


According to Grim Reaper, 1.0 is currently the median for ABC Scripted shows.



Shows typically lose a little after their premieres. TBH, I think it's too early to answer the more-than-13 question. I'd like to give it 3-4 weeks, but I do think it will remain bubble and we'll be nail biting the whole way through.
Yes but a million little things premiered better and it gets a lot of DVR viewership. I am hoping the same for TR.

I think ABC will give the back order for one show -either TR or AMLT. Let’s see to whom they give that.
DVR viewership is never a bad thing, but don't let the Network's PR spin on that fool you. It's my understanding that the numbers that matter most behind live, and are rarely shown to the public, are the C3s, aka who is actually watching the commercials.

*Edit* to be fair, there are people who do not agree with that. Some believe only live +SD matter, some tout the +3 or +7. For me, the C3 just makes sense. If there is a measure of how many people are watching ads, that's what people spending the ad money care about, not that the substance of the show is so great that millions watched the show later but skipped all their ads.
If you watch it OnDemand or the ABCgo app, you can't skip the commercials. So there's that? :serious:
0

Castle_firefly
Registered Member
Reactions: 11
Posts: 403
Joined: November 4th, 2017, 1:02 pm

Re: The Rookie Articles and Social Media

#9 Unread post by Castle_firefly » October 17th, 2018, 2:02 pm

Booyah wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 1:42 pm
ABC is re-airing TR Monday, I would assume in The Good Doctor's time slot. They did the same for AMLT, but I can't remember what night they aired it. I think it was on a Friday or Sunday night.

As for being on the bubble, I've not seen anything about AMLT being sold internationally. Don't underestimate the staying power that gives TR.

I was really expecting more than a 1.0, so I'm disappointed. And not excuses, but there was a big baseball game on last night. I also think that those who have been watched NA and DVR'd Rookie last night might possibly decide it's better and watch TR live and DVR NA. :shrug:

The Rookie was the only show in that time slot last night that gained viewers in the second half hour (in preliminary numbers). NA again dropped week to week.

We'll have to see what happens in delayed viewing and the next couple episodes. I would be beyond shocked if it doesn't get a full season.

Has anyone seen anything about how it did in Canada?
I was expecting 1.5 so a 1.0 is a shock to me. I am just going to be honest here. I think a significant portion of Nathan’s fans are sci fi who waht him to do something sci fi related. They are not very loyal imo and I don’t know how many of them are interested in a cop drama. They would watch it it’s sci fi. Other thing is it’s been widely known that Nathan’s fan base does skew older. So a 1.0 is what he can get I guess.

It’s goimg to drop a lot in the next few weeks as it is seen in every show. FBI started with 1.3 and has stabilized at 1.0. NA started with 1.8 and has stabilized with 1.2.

If The Rookie falls further which it unfortunately will I honestly don’t see it getting a back order. :unamused:
SpoilerShow
Based on the reviews from general public, some points of criticism were:

1) the constant age discrimination to the point of bullying is off putting
2) the “ickiness” of the age gap relationship is a no no for some people.
3) Bradford’s character shown as racist abusive asshole but then we are supposed to sympathize with him because he has junkie wife?
4) How are we supposed to root for the characters if some of them are shown as racist, sexist, ageist bullies? In castle, all series regulars were worth rooting for,. Some of these characters in TR seem irredeemable.

These are just some of the criticm points I have seen about the show and characters.
If you ask me, I think Nathan deserves better than The Rookie. A Netflix show with a capable show runner is a dream but what do I know? :shrug:
0

User avatar
TightPantsLooseMorals
Registered Member
Reactions: 35
Posts: 311
Joined: August 15th, 2018, 11:10 am

Re: The Rookie Articles and Social Media

#10 Unread post by TightPantsLooseMorals » October 17th, 2018, 2:10 pm

Castle_firefly wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 2:02 pm
Booyah wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 1:42 pm
ABC is re-airing TR Monday, I would assume in The Good Doctor's time slot. They did the same for AMLT, but I can't remember what night they aired it. I think it was on a Friday or Sunday night.

As for being on the bubble, I've not seen anything about AMLT being sold internationally. Don't underestimate the staying power that gives TR.

I was really expecting more than a 1.0, so I'm disappointed. And not excuses, but there was a big baseball game on last night. I also think that those who have been watched NA and DVR'd Rookie last night might possibly decide it's better and watch TR live and DVR NA. :shrug:

The Rookie was the only show in that time slot last night that gained viewers in the second half hour (in preliminary numbers). NA again dropped week to week.

We'll have to see what happens in delayed viewing and the next couple episodes. I would be beyond shocked if it doesn't get a full season.

Has anyone seen anything about how it did in Canada?
I was expecting 1.5 so a 1.0 is a shock to me. I am just going to be honest here. I think a significant portion of Nathan’s fans are sci fi who waht him to do something sci fi related. They are not very loyal imo and I don’t know how many of them are interested in a cop drama. They would watch it it’s sci fi. Other thing is it’s been widely known that Nathan’s fan base does skew older. So a 1.0 is what he can get I guess.

It’s goimg to drop a lot in the next few weeks as it is seen in every show. FBI started with 1.3 and has stabilized at 1.0. NA started with 1.8 and has stabilized with 1.2.

If The Rookie falls further which it unfortunately will I honestly don’t see it getting a back order. :unamused:
SpoilerShow
Based on the reviews from general public, some points of criticism were:

1) the constant age discrimination to the point of bullying is off putting
2) the “ickiness” of the age gap relationship is a no no for some people.
3) Bradford’s character shown as racist abusive asshole but then we are supposed to sympathize with him because he has junkie wife?
4) How are we supposed to root for the characters if some of them are shown as racist, sexist, ageist bullies? In castle, all series regulars were worth rooting for,. Some of these characters in TR seem irredeemable.

These are just some of the criticm points I have seen about the show and characters.
If you ask me, I think Nathan deserves better than The Rookie. A Netflix show with a capable show runner is a dream but what do I know? :shrug:
SpoilerShow
I want to re-watch the show before I post much commentary on Bradford. But I too saw the junkie wife as some type of ill-conceived attempt at redeeming him.
0

Firefly12
Registered Member
Reactions: 32
Posts: 322
Joined: November 14th, 2017, 5:26 pm

Re: The Rookie Articles and Social Media

#11 Unread post by Firefly12 » October 17th, 2018, 2:31 pm

TightPantsLooseMorals wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 2:10 pm
Castle_firefly wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 2:02 pm
Booyah wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 1:42 pm
ABC is re-airing TR Monday, I would assume in The Good Doctor's time slot. They did the same for AMLT, but I can't remember what night they aired it. I think it was on a Friday or Sunday night.

As for being on the bubble, I've not seen anything about AMLT being sold internationally. Don't underestimate the staying power that gives TR.

I was really expecting more than a 1.0, so I'm disappointed. And not excuses, but there was a big baseball game on last night. I also think that those who have been watched NA and DVR'd Rookie last night might possibly decide it's better and watch TR live and DVR NA. :shrug:

The Rookie was the only show in that time slot last night that gained viewers in the second half hour (in preliminary numbers). NA again dropped week to week.

We'll have to see what happens in delayed viewing and the next couple episodes. I would be beyond shocked if it doesn't get a full season.

Has anyone seen anything about how it did in Canada?
I was expecting 1.5 so a 1.0 is a shock to me. I am just going to be honest here. I think a significant portion of Nathan’s fans are sci fi who waht him to do something sci fi related. They are not very loyal imo and I don’t know how many of them are interested in a cop drama. They would watch it it’s sci fi. Other thing is it’s been widely known that Nathan’s fan base does skew older. So a 1.0 is what he can get I guess.

It’s goimg to drop a lot in the next few weeks as it is seen in every show. FBI started with 1.3 and has stabilized at 1.0. NA started with 1.8 and has stabilized with 1.2.

If The Rookie falls further which it unfortunately will I honestly don’t see it getting a back order. :unamused:
SpoilerShow
Based on the reviews from general public, some points of criticism were:

1) the constant age discrimination to the point of bullying is off putting
2) the “ickiness” of the age gap relationship is a no no for some people.
3) Bradford’s character shown as racist abusive asshole but then we are supposed to sympathize with him because he has junkie wife?
4) How are we supposed to root for the characters if some of them are shown as racist, sexist, ageist bullies? In castle, all series regulars were worth rooting for,. Some of these characters in TR seem irredeemable.

These are just some of the criticm points I have seen about the show and characters.
If you ask me, I think Nathan deserves better than The Rookie. A Netflix show with a capable show runner is a dream but what do I know? :shrug:
SpoilerShow
I want to re-watch the show before I post much commentary on Bradford. But I too saw the junkie wife as some type of ill-conceived attempt at redeeming him.
People, what are you talking about?. I read posts from #therookie and the vast majority was positive. Lot of it was such, in which people wrote that are very positive surprised. Only a small number of posts was negative
2
2 Image

rookie47
Registered Member
Reactions: 4
Posts: 40
Joined: July 19th, 2018, 10:21 pm

Re: The Rookie Articles and Social Media

#12 Unread post by rookie47 » October 17th, 2018, 3:04 pm

Firefly12 wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 2:31 pm
TightPantsLooseMorals wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 2:10 pm
Castle_firefly wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 2:02 pm


I was expecting 1.5 so a 1.0 is a shock to me. I am just going to be honest here. I think a significant portion of Nathan’s fans are sci fi who waht him to do something sci fi related. They are not very loyal imo and I don’t know how many of them are interested in a cop drama. They would watch it it’s sci fi. Other thing is it’s been widely known that Nathan’s fan base does skew older. So a 1.0 is what he can get I guess.

It’s goimg to drop a lot in the next few weeks as it is seen in every show. FBI started with 1.3 and has stabilized at 1.0. NA started with 1.8 and has stabilized with 1.2.

If The Rookie falls further which it unfortunately will I honestly don’t see it getting a back order. :unamused:
SpoilerShow
Based on the reviews from general public, some points of criticism were:

1) the constant age discrimination to the point of bullying is off putting
2) the “ickiness” of the age gap relationship is a no no for some people.
3) Bradford’s character shown as racist abusive asshole but then we are supposed to sympathize with him because he has junkie wife?
4) How are we supposed to root for the characters if some of them are shown as racist, sexist, ageist bullies? In castle, all series regulars were worth rooting for,. Some of these characters in TR seem irredeemable.

These are just some of the criticm points I have seen about the show and characters.
If you ask me, I think Nathan deserves better than The Rookie. A Netflix show with a capable show runner is a dream but what do I know? :shrug:
SpoilerShow
I want to re-watch the show before I post much commentary on Bradford. But I too saw the junkie wife as some type of ill-conceived attempt at redeeming him.
People, what are you talking about?. I read posts from #therookie and the vast majority was positive. Lot of it was such, in which people wrote that are very positive surprised. Only a small number of posts was negative
Nielsen ratings are what ultimately matters but given the competition in the Rookie slot I didn’t expect really high ratings either way. I’m surprised that tweets are mostly positive given that people find themselves compelled to tweet about anything they don’t like.
0

User avatar
TightPantsLooseMorals
Registered Member
Reactions: 35
Posts: 311
Joined: August 15th, 2018, 11:10 am

Re: The Rookie Articles and Social Media

#13 Unread post by TightPantsLooseMorals » October 17th, 2018, 3:07 pm

Firefly12 wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 2:31 pm
TightPantsLooseMorals wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 2:10 pm
Castle_firefly wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 2:02 pm


I was expecting 1.5 so a 1.0 is a shock to me. I am just going to be honest here. I think a significant portion of Nathan’s fans are sci fi who waht him to do something sci fi related. They are not very loyal imo and I don’t know how many of them are interested in a cop drama. They would watch it it’s sci fi. Other thing is it’s been widely known that Nathan’s fan base does skew older. So a 1.0 is what he can get I guess.

It’s goimg to drop a lot in the next few weeks as it is seen in every show. FBI started with 1.3 and has stabilized at 1.0. NA started with 1.8 and has stabilized with 1.2.

If The Rookie falls further which it unfortunately will I honestly don’t see it getting a back order. :unamused:
SpoilerShow
Based on the reviews from general public, some points of criticism were:

1) the constant age discrimination to the point of bullying is off putting
2) the “ickiness” of the age gap relationship is a no no for some people.
3) Bradford’s character shown as racist abusive asshole but then we are supposed to sympathize with him because he has junkie wife?
4) How are we supposed to root for the characters if some of them are shown as racist, sexist, ageist bullies? In castle, all series regulars were worth rooting for,. Some of these characters in TR seem irredeemable.

These are just some of the criticm points I have seen about the show and characters.
If you ask me, I think Nathan deserves better than The Rookie. A Netflix show with a capable show runner is a dream but what do I know? :shrug:
SpoilerShow
I want to re-watch the show before I post much commentary on Bradford. But I too saw the junkie wife as some type of ill-conceived attempt at redeeming him.
People, what are you talking about?. I read posts from #therookie and the vast majority was positive. Lot of it was such, in which people wrote that are very positive surprised. Only a small number of posts was negative
I think the summary is from people who write about shows and considered The Rookie on a far more critical level than the tweets under #TheRookie. I do agree with you though that #TheRookie reads overwhelmingly positive.
0

Castle_firefly
Registered Member
Reactions: 11
Posts: 403
Joined: November 4th, 2017, 1:02 pm

Re: The Rookie Articles and Social Media

#14 Unread post by Castle_firefly » October 17th, 2018, 3:24 pm

TightPantsLooseMorals wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 3:07 pm
Firefly12 wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 2:31 pm
TightPantsLooseMorals wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 2:10 pm

SpoilerShow
I want to re-watch the show before I post much commentary on Bradford. But I too saw the junkie wife as some type of ill-conceived attempt at redeeming him.
People, what are you talking about?. I read posts from #therookie and the vast majority was positive. Lot of it was such, in which people wrote that are very positive surprised. Only a small number of posts was negative
I think the summary is from people who write about shows and considered The Rookie on a far more critical level than the tweets under #TheRookie. I do agree with you though that #TheRookie reads overwhelmingly positive.
Not just the #therookie. Read @theRookie also as well as search Nathan Fillion in twitter. You will find some critical tweets under @therookie esp last night when the show premiered.
0

Castle_firefly
Registered Member
Reactions: 11
Posts: 403
Joined: November 4th, 2017, 1:02 pm

Re: The Rookie Articles and Social Media

#15 Unread post by Castle_firefly » October 17th, 2018, 3:31 pm

Interesting article. Some perspective.

But my point is if it’s going to premiere at 1.0 it’s going to go low right? I dint know how it can maintain itself at 1.0. That never happens to any show.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live- ... bc-1153076
0

User avatar
TightPantsLooseMorals
Registered Member
Reactions: 35
Posts: 311
Joined: August 15th, 2018, 11:10 am

Re: The Rookie Articles and Social Media

#16 Unread post by TightPantsLooseMorals » October 17th, 2018, 4:00 pm

Castle_firefly wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 3:31 pm
Interesting article. Some perspective.

But my point is if it’s going to premiere at 1.0 it’s going to go low right? I dint know how it can maintain itself at 1.0. That never happens to any show.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live- ... bc-1153076
True, plus I want a genuinely well-liked, respected, and bona fide success story of a show for Nathan. Not a "the bar was is set so embarrassingly low over at ABC that it was considered a success by their standards, if no one else's" narrative.
0

Firefly12
Registered Member
Reactions: 32
Posts: 322
Joined: November 14th, 2017, 5:26 pm

Re: The Rookie Articles and Social Media

#17 Unread post by Firefly12 » October 17th, 2018, 4:11 pm

TightPantsLooseMorals wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 4:00 pm
Castle_firefly wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 3:31 pm
Interesting article. Some perspective.

But my point is if it’s going to premiere at 1.0 it’s going to go low right? I dint know how it can maintain itself at 1.0. That never happens to any show.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live- ... bc-1153076
True, plus I want a genuinely well-liked, respected, and bona fide success story of a show for Nathan. Not a "the bar was is set so embarrassingly low over at ABC that it was considered a success by their standards, if no one else's" narrative.
I think that there are so many very positive reactions from people is a great success. We should wait for the next week to assess the ratings
0

Booyah
Registered Member
Reactions: 59
Posts: 948
Joined: February 12th, 2018, 1:04 am

Re: The Rookie Articles and Social Media

#18 Unread post by Booyah » October 17th, 2018, 4:15 pm

Firefly12 wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 2:31 pm
TightPantsLooseMorals wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 2:10 pm
Castle_firefly wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 2:02 pm


I was expecting 1.5 so a 1.0 is a shock to me. I am just going to be honest here. I think a significant portion of Nathan’s fans are sci fi who waht him to do something sci fi related. They are not very loyal imo and I don’t know how many of them are interested in a cop drama. They would watch it it’s sci fi. Other thing is it’s been widely known that Nathan’s fan base does skew older. So a 1.0 is what he can get I guess.

It’s goimg to drop a lot in the next few weeks as it is seen in every show. FBI started with 1.3 and has stabilized at 1.0. NA started with 1.8 and has stabilized with 1.2.

If The Rookie falls further which it unfortunately will I honestly don’t see it getting a back order. :unamused:
SpoilerShow
Based on the reviews from general public, some points of criticism were:

1) the constant age discrimination to the point of bullying is off putting
2) the “ickiness” of the age gap relationship is a no no for some people.
3) Bradford’s character shown as racist abusive asshole but then we are supposed to sympathize with him because he has junkie wife?
4) How are we supposed to root for the characters if some of them are shown as racist, sexist, ageist bullies? In castle, all series regulars were worth rooting for,. Some of these characters in TR seem irredeemable.

These are just some of the criticm points I have seen about the show and characters.
If you ask me, I think Nathan deserves better than The Rookie. A Netflix show with a capable show runner is a dream but what do I know? :shrug:
SpoilerShow
I want to re-watch the show before I post much commentary on Bradford. But I too saw the junkie wife as some type of ill-conceived attempt at redeeming him.
People, what are you talking about?. I read posts from #therookie and the vast majority was positive. Lot of it was such, in which people wrote that are very positive surprised. Only a small number of posts was negative
I was also going to ask where all these negative comments were because I read all the hashtag and the comments on any article I read. Were there a couple negative? Of course, but they were few and far between. The vast majority were positive. In fact there were many that were pleasantly surprised that it was better than they expected.

I sometimes think some go searching for the negative. Maybe they were from people I have blocked. :shrug: But the only people I have blocked are those that would never ever say anything positive no matter how good the show was.
0

Booyah
Registered Member
Reactions: 59
Posts: 948
Joined: February 12th, 2018, 1:04 am

Re: The Rookie Articles and Social Media

#19 Unread post by Booyah » October 17th, 2018, 4:19 pm

TightPantsLooseMorals wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 4:00 pm
Castle_firefly wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 3:31 pm
Interesting article. Some perspective.

But my point is if it’s going to premiere at 1.0 it’s going to go low right? I dint know how it can maintain itself at 1.0. That never happens to any show.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live- ... bc-1153076
True, plus I want a genuinely well-liked, respected, and bona fide success story of a show for Nathan. Not a "the bar was is set so embarrassingly low over at ABC that it was considered a success by their standards, if no one else's" narrative.
Here's the thing about success in Hollywood, it's all about the money. If the show makes ABC and eOne a lot of money in international sales, etc. then it is a success. Nathan has been in the business too long to just live or die on one project, and I don't think TR is an end to his career if it isn't a "success". It would be nice for him if it was though because I really think he deserves it.
0

Booyah
Registered Member
Reactions: 59
Posts: 948
Joined: February 12th, 2018, 1:04 am

Re: The Rookie Articles and Social Media

#20 Unread post by Booyah » October 17th, 2018, 4:30 pm

ABC already just announced a full season order for The Kids Are Alright.

If they have faith in TR, I think they will announce that early also to indicate confidence.

One other thing that surprised me. The ABC press release (which I can't find now that I want it again) indicated the Rookie won the time slot in all male age groups 18-54. If true, that's really interesting.

Edit: found it!

“The Rookie” (10:00-11:00 p.m. – 5.4 million and 1.0/4 in AD18-49):
Spiking over its lead-in by 1.7 million viewers at 10:00 p.m., “The Rookie” scored ABC’s most-watched drama debut (5.4 million) in the hour in over 7 ½ years and tied as the top-rated with Adults 18-49 (1.0/4) in more than 4 ½ years – since 3/29/11 and 2/25/14, respectively. In addition, “The Rookie” delivered ABC’s best results with a drama telecast in the hour since September 2014 in viewers and in 2 years with Adults 18-49 – since 9/30/14 and 9/20/16, respectively.

The new ABC drama beat out CBS’ veteran “NCIS: New Orleans” by 25% for No. 2 in the hour among Adults 18-49 and ranked No. 1 with key Men (M18-49/M25-54).
0

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest