Re: The Rookie Ratings & Renewal Discussion

#481 Unread post by castle-firefly » February 5th, 2019, 3:40 pm

Cayde-6 wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 3:24 pm
TightPantsLooseMorals wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 3:18 pm
castle-firefly wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 3:03 pm

If the show gets renewed I think it will be because of Nathan. ABC wants to work with him. He is their poster boy just like Ryan Eggold is the poster boy for NBC and Michael Weatherley is for CBS.

If they cancel TR, I think they will keep NF busy with guest star roles and then a few years later they will probably give him another show.
I agree with this. It's bittersweet though. It speaks a lot to his job longevity, but that also means that it could be on just another lackluster ABC show in another year.
A bit off-topic, but I think he's known enough to the Netflix audience now that he could very well get some decent show there. Then fall back to ABC, more popular than ever, if he had to. Big Mouth is Netflix's 19th most watched show = name recognition. Not to mention ASOUE and SCD. The Netflix crowd would accept him there gladly in my opinion.
Yes but ABC should let him go. I feel like they “convinced” him he needs them. So he stays there. I do think Nathan should expand his horizons by trying a Netflix, Amazon or a cable show. But he seems to like staying in ABC. It’s liks job security/comfort.

Actually I would like it if Nathan even ventures into other networks like CBS or NBC.

Booyah
Registered Member
Reactions: 59

#482 Unread post by Booyah » February 5th, 2019, 4:03 pm

Cayde-6 wrote:
castle-firefly wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 3:03 pm

If the show gets renewed I think it will be because of Nathan. ABC wants to work with him. He is their poster boy just like Ryan Eggold is the poster boy for NBC and Michael Weatherley is for CBS.

If they cancel TR, I think they will keep NF busy with guest star roles and then a few years later they will probably give him another show.
I agree with this. It's bittersweet though. It speaks a lot to his job longevity, but that also means that it could be on just another lackluster ABC show in another year.
A bit off-topic, but I think he's known enough to the Netflix audience now that he could very well get some decent show there. Then fall back to ABC, more popular than ever, if he had to. Big Mouth is Netflix's 19th most watched show = name recognition. Not to mention ASOUE and SCD. The Netflix crowd would accept him there gladly in my opinion.
Now granted I'm biased, but I agree with you and think this is a positive for TR renewal because I don't think ABC wants to lose Nathan. They've lost a lot of their other ABC "stars" to Netflix and I don't think they want to lose him too which is a good possibility if TR is cancelled. I think Netflix would be happy to have him.

Which brings up another question. Does anyone think that if ABC cancels TR, that eOne would try to shop it to Netflix and would Netflix be interested? Nathan has a huge following and TR is drawing average 4 million in live viewing and 8 million viewers in delayed viewing.

I would love to know if Karey Burke mentioned TR in response to a question or did she bring it up on her own. I think the difference might be important.

Booyah
Registered Member

#483 Unread post by Booyah » February 5th, 2019, 4:10 pm

Cayde-6 wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 2:59 pm
RookieCard wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 2:54 pm
castle-firefly wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 2:40 pm
11:20 AM: “I’m pleased with what THE ROOKIE is doing,” Burke says, citing its improved ratings for that time period. Nathan Fillion is a star “who should be on ABC.”

http://www.givememyremote.com/remote/20 ... live-blog/
That sounds positive. But why not just renew it already?
My guess is waiting to see it recovers from being off for two weeks, and that it hasn't aired as many episodes as the others
It may also involve how the other mid-season premieres perform. For The People did horrible last year so I expect that to underperform again. Laurie Zaks has had zero luck I believe with her ABC pilots/shows, and this Marcia Clark one doesn't seem to be generating much buzz that I've seen. Whiskey Cavalier will be the interesting one. There seems to be a mixed bag of opinions on how well it will perform.

TightPantsLooseMorals
Registered Member
Reactions: 35

#484 Unread post by TightPantsLooseMorals » February 5th, 2019, 4:18 pm

Booyah wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 4:03 pm
Cayde-6 wrote:

Now granted I'm biased, but I agree with you and think this is a positive for TR renewal because I don't think ABC wants to lose Nathan. They've lost a lot of their other ABC "stars" to Netflix and I don't think they want to lose him too which is a good possibility if TR is cancelled. I think Netflix would be happy to have him.

Which brings up another question. Does anyone think that if ABC cancels TR, that eOne would try to shop it to Netflix and would Netflix be interested? Nathan has a huge following and TR is drawing average 4 million in live viewing and 8 million viewers in delayed viewing.

I would love to know if Karey Burke mentioned TR in response to a question or did she bring it up on her own. I think the difference might be important.
To be honest, I don't think Netflix would want to just be the distributor of a second season of The Rookie. They've been growing in the production side of the business for sometime now. So, I think if Netflix wanted it they would want a piece of the production pie too, and one of their conditions would be a total writing and showrunning overhaul. Their current original content puts The Rookie to shame and if they saw potential in the show they'd want to make sure its writing and design was on par quality wise with the rest of the originals.

TightPantsLooseMorals
Registered Member

#485 Unread post by TightPantsLooseMorals » February 5th, 2019, 4:20 pm

Booyah wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 4:10 pm
Cayde-6 wrote:
RookieCard wrote:

My guess is waiting to see it recovers from being off for two weeks, and that it hasn't aired as many episodes as the others
It may also involve how the other mid-season premieres perform. For The People did horrible last year so I expect that to underperform again. Laurie Zaks has had zero luck I believe with her ABC pilots/shows, and this Marcia Clark one doesn't seem to be generating much buzz that I've seen. Whiskey Cavalier will be the interesting one. There seems to be a mixed bag of opinions on how well it will perform.
As much buzz as The Fix is not generating, Matt Mitovich wrote something that reads like a second season is already a done deal.

Booyah
Registered Member

#486 Unread post by Booyah » February 5th, 2019, 4:33 pm

February 5th, 2019, 4:20 pm
Booyah wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 4:10 pm
Cayde-6 wrote:

As much buzz as The Fix is not generating, Matt Mitovich wrote something that reads like a second season is already a done deal.

Yes it does read like that but I think some of that is in response to some confusion over the nature of the show.

castle-firefly
Registered Member
Reactions: 5

#487 Unread post by castle-firefly » February 5th, 2019, 11:02 pm

February 5th, 2019, 3:16 pm
RookieCard wrote:
castle-firefly wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 2:40 pm
11:20 AM: “I’m pleased with what THE ROOKIE is doing,” Burke says, citing its improved ratings for that time period. Nathan Fillion is a star “who should be on ABC.”

http://www.givememyremote.com/remote/20 ... live-blog/
Because these people talk out of both sides of their mouth and avoid saying anything negative about shows at these events. Check out coverage of past TCA events if you've got time. Lots of wonderful words about shows that had the plug pulled a few months later. IMO, they haven't just renewed it because they haven't made a decision on it yet.
True. Who can forget Paul Lee’s famous “We love Nathan and Stana. We want Castle to go on for many years” and then Dungey came in and cancelled it.

castle-firefly
Registered Member

#488 Unread post by castle-firefly » February 7th, 2019, 10:52 pm

He keeps saying this but i am still holding on to the hope that TR will be renewed in May.

Having said that, American Housewife got a 0.8 and Kids are Alright got a 0.7. With these ratings, I don’t think The Rookie can maintain its 0.7. I think the episodes from now on will have 0.6 or maybe even 0.5. Idk. But I still think it has a good chance to be renewed. I mean if For The Peopld wa renewed with 0.5. So TR, even if it goes down to 0.5, should be renewed too.

TightPantsLooseMorals
Registered Member

#489 Unread post by TightPantsLooseMorals » February 7th, 2019, 11:09 pm

castle-firefly wrote:
February 7th, 2019, 10:52 pm

He keeps saying this but i am still holding on to the hope that TR will be renewed in May.

Having said that, American Housewife got a 0.8 and Kids are Alright got a 0.7. With these ratings, I don’t think The Rookie can maintain its 0.7. I think the episodes from now on will have 0.6 or maybe even 0.5. Idk. But I still think it has a good chance to be renewed. I mean if For The Peopld wa renewed with 0.5. So TR, even if it goes down to 0.5, should be renewed too.
We’ll see. My guess is that AH and TKAA numbers were a bit wonky this week because the whole SOTU address scheduling was such a clusterfuck. Some viewers probably just assumed that no show was running new episodes that night or just kept the TV off in general that night because they are so put off with the present situation. I’d be surprised if the numbers for them didn’t spring up some this week.

The Rookie needs to just straight up outperform other ABC dramas that don’t have a renewal commitment yet. It’s got a lot of action that is way more expensive to produce than a family or courtroom drama. It needs to be worth its expense. I think its international distribution revenue likely offsets some of the cost to ABC, but no idea whether it’s enough if other shows end up doing better domestically.

castle-firefly
Registered Member

#490 Unread post by castle-firefly » February 7th, 2019, 11:35 pm

February 7th, 2019, 11:09 pm
castle-firefly wrote:

We’ll see. My guess is that AH and TKAA numbers were a bit wonky this week because the whole SOTU address scheduling was such a clusterfuck. Some viewers probably just assumed that no show was running new episodes that night or just kept the TV off in general that night because they are so put off with the present situation. I’d be surprised if the numbers for them didn’t spring up some this week.

The Rookie needs to just straight up outperform other ABC dramas that don’t have a renewal commitment yet. It’s got a lot of action that is way more expensive to produce than a family or courtroom drama. It needs to be worth its expense. I think its international distribution revenue likely offsets some of the cost to ABC, but no idea whether it’s enough if other shows end up doing better domestically.
I think you’re right. But if Kids get a 0.7 again, then it’s going to push down the rest of the night. And the 10pm shows are usually the worst affected. Both kids and AH need to perform better for TR to maintain its 0.7. We’ll see. Otherwise the new ratings would be 0.6 or even lower than that.

BTW after SUT finishes it’s 18 episode run, a show called Bless this Mess (which sounds like a real mess) is going to air in its place from April onwards. So another “outstanding” lead-in for TR for at least 2 episodes.

If ABC renews TR, they better give it a good lead-in and time slot change rather than this Bless This Mess crap. :poop:

TightPantsLooseMorals
Registered Member

#491 Unread post by TightPantsLooseMorals » February 7th, 2019, 11:52 pm

castle-firefly wrote:
February 7th, 2019, 11:35 pm
castle-firefly wrote:

I think you’re right. But if Kids get a 0.7 again, then it’s going to push down the rest of the night. And the 10pm shows are usually the worst affected. Both kids and AH need to perform better for TR to maintain its 0.7. We’ll see. Otherwise the new ratings would be 0.6 or even lower than that.

BTW after SUT finishes it’s 18 episode run, a show called Bless this Mess (which sounds like a real mess) is going to air in its place from April onwards. So another “outstanding” lead-in for TR for at least 2 episodes.

If ABC renews TR, they better give it a good lead-in and time slot change rather than this Bless This Mess crap. :poop:
Big city folk adjusting to Nebraska life is a far better premise than what SUT is. And Dax Shepard is a pretty popular, established funny guy. I doubt it will be crap. It having its premiere the last two episodes of The Rookie should provide a better lead in than SUT does.

castle-firefly
Registered Member

#492 Unread post by castle-firefly » February 7th, 2019, 11:57 pm

February 7th, 2019, 11:52 pm
castle-firefly wrote:

Big city folk adjusting to Nebraska life is a far better premise than what SUT is. And Dax Shepard is a pretty popular, established funny guy. I doubt it will be crap. It having its premiere the last two episodes of The Rookie should provide a better lead in than SUT does.
Then in that case, I hope you’re right. And that it proves to be a good show. But I still think NYPD Blue or NY undercover willl be far better compatible lead-ins than another family sitcom.

Booyah
Registered Member

#493 Unread post by Booyah » February 8th, 2019, 12:04 am

castle-firefly wrote:

I saw the trainer for Bless This Mess and it was pretty good! I don’t usually go much for the comedies these days but this is one I will check out. So having seen it, I’m really hoping it can help TR as a much better lead in than SUT.

TightPantsLooseMorals
Registered Member

#494 Unread post by TightPantsLooseMorals » February 8th, 2019, 12:13 am

castle-firefly wrote:
February 7th, 2019, 11:57 pm
castle-firefly wrote:

Then in that case, I hope you’re right. And that it proves to be a good show. But I still think NYPD Blue or NY undercover willl be far better compatible lead-ins than another family sitcom.
I think having three law enforcement shows on the same night will be a bad look for ABC. It will end up the dollar store version of the successful CBS strategy.

TightPantsLooseMorals
Registered Member

#495 Unread post by TightPantsLooseMorals » February 8th, 2019, 12:16 am

Booyah wrote:
February 8th, 2019, 12:04 am
castle-firefly wrote:

I saw the trainer for Bless This Mess and it was pretty good! I don’t usually go much for the comedies these days but this is one I will check out. So having seen it, I’m really hoping it can help TR as a much better lead in than SUT.
I thought so too. It looks like they’ve got some fun physical comedy in there. I feel like a lot of today’s comedies skimp on that aspect.

castle-firefly
Registered Member

#496 Unread post by castle-firefly » February 8th, 2019, 10:37 am

What follows are the Live+Seven Day results of the top broadcast network telecasts for the week of January 21, 2019

Top 40 programs in Live+7 Day raw gains among adults 18-49 ratings

#14 The Rookie (ABC, Tue. 1/22/19) +0.87 (L+SD: 0.68; L+7: 1.56)

Top 40 programs in Live+7 Day raw gains among total viewers

#6 The Rookie (ABC, Tue. 1/22/19) +4.421m (L+SD: 3.839m; L+7: 8.260m)

Top 40 programs in Live+7 Day percentage gains among adults 18-49

#3 The Rookie (ABC, Tue. 1/22/19) +128% (L+SD: 0.68; L+7: 1.56)

Top 40 programs in Live+7 Day percentage gains among total viewers

#1 The Rookie (ABC, Tue. 1/22/19) +115.16% (L+SD: 3.839m; L+7: 8.260m

Firefly12
Registered Member
Reactions: 32

#497 Unread post by Firefly12 » February 8th, 2019, 10:46 pm

castle-firefly
Registered Member

#498 Unread post by castle-firefly » February 11th, 2019, 1:13 pm

Has he ever been wrong?

Enjoy the last 9 episodes I guess. :(

The Rookie Is Likely To Be Canceled
The Rookie is likely to be canceled. It’s ABC’s third lowest rated show, and wasn’t renewed last week when fellow Fall rookie drama A Million Little Things was. It’s not completely dead, but that’s now the way to bet.

New Amsterdam, A Million Little Things and The Good Doctor were renewed last week. Modern Family was renewed for a final season (aka, renanceled). Mom and The Simpsons were renewed for 2 more seasons.

ABC shows predicted to be canceled
The Rookie is among ABC’s lowest rated shows and wasn’t renewed when fellow Fall freshman drama A Million Little Things was. It’s not completely dead, but that’s the way to bet.

Firefly12
Registered Member
Reactions: 32

#499 Unread post by Firefly12 » February 11th, 2019, 1:36 pm

castle-firefly wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 1:13 pm
Has he ever been wrong?

Enjoy the last 9 episodes I guess. :(

The Rookie Is Likely To Be Canceled
The Rookie is likely to be canceled. It’s ABC’s third lowest rated show, and wasn’t renewed last week when fellow Fall rookie drama A Million Little Things was. It’s not completely dead, but that’s now the way to bet.

New Amsterdam, A Million Little Things and The Good Doctor were renewed last week. Modern Family was renewed for a final season (aka, renanceled). Mom and The Simpsons were renewed for 2 more seasons.

The Rookie is among ABC’s lowest rated shows and wasn’t renewed when fellow Fall freshman drama A Million Little Things was. It’s not completely dead, but that’s the way to bet.
I don't think The Rookie will be canceled. And yes, he was wrong sometimes. And not only TR wasn't renewed yet.
1 Image

Registered Member
Reactions: 22

#500 Unread post by 100 » February 11th, 2019, 7:49 pm

Firefly12 wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 1:36 pm
castle-firefly wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 1:13 pm
Has he ever been wrong?

I don't think The Rookie will be canceled. And yes, he was wrong sometimes. And not only TR wasn't renewed yet.
Yes, he's been wrong. His prediction percentage is getting lower.
He's acting as if ABC never renews a show in May. Many times it does.
He's basing his prediction on assumptions that are difficult to assume anymore. Other things come into play like the fact that ABC ran a whole lot more scripted shows than usual this season. They've got 3 new dramas premiering this winter/spring. We have to see how WC does, which is probably the nearest competition.

I'm okay if it dies. I think Nathan can find a better project, actually.
2 Image